> But I get it, it's hard, so you can throw up your hands and give up by
> saying that's not our problem, not an OS issue.

As coders, it is very much not our problem.

We just happen to run on some vendor hardware, often poorly documented
and inconsistant generation to generation (even when it is consistant to
the previous generation, we don't have any insight into what changes in
subsequent generations).

If the hardware platforms don't have easily accessible, complete,
primitives available to serve that need, we cannot construct the
efects you desire -- late, at a higher level.