On 23 December 2015 02:04:01 GMT+00:00, Dragos Ruiu <d...@kyx.net> wrote:

>I would be interested in any code that can knowingly break inside a VM
>verify unvirtualized status, esp. on Skylake. Older processors can
>probably
>use the virtualization bugs in the hardware for this function.
Who cares? Yes, there will be processor quirks that can be used, and often
hypercalls to verify you're running under a hypervisor. Beyond that, a VM has a
large degree of difference from a physical PC - I would not be confident of
hiding this from the OS.

It's not OpenBSD's problem, though. If you don't know if you're running in a VM
the most probable causes are trojaned install media (to the point it verifies
the hash) or a hacked BIOS. If it's a BIOS you need to verify the BIOS, the NIC
boot ROM, the graphics card ROM, the disk controller ROM, the disk drive
itself, and any remote access/baseboard management controller that exists.

If you're that paranoid, you need a specific tool to find the source of the
issue, not OpenBSD