On 2017-09-29, Larry Hynes <la...@larryhynes.com> wrote:
> Markus Rosjat <ros...@ghweb.de> wrote:
>> my boss is getting on my nerves
>
> It may be mutual.
>
>> that greylisting is basically out of date because of things like
>> outlook.com and mails ending up delayed for ever. So the next logical
>> step would be to deploy a tool like rspamd or spamassasin to examin
>> mail content. These tools need to be trained and if you have a small
>> mailserver with less accounts this could take a while I imagine.
>
> Specifically in relation to rspamd: If you spend some time reading
> the documentation on the rspamd website you might find that:
>
> 1. the weight of rules which classify messages as 'ham' or 'spam'
> i.e. those rules which rely on the 'training' of messages, does not
> have to be, in the overall context, critical. rspamd deploys a
> boatload of 'tests', by default, and even more can be enabled, and
> each of those can be assigned a score. hamminess or spamminess is
> just one 'test'.

+1. rspamd doesn't do badly even with little/no training for spam/ham.

It does have problems with certain mail, for example it likes to have various
MIME headers, so you may need to make some exemptions for things like
daily/security mail output, or mail from people who don't use MIME MUAs.

> 2. That the rspamd website specifically links to 'pre-built' ham
> and spam databases which you are free to download and use.

Definitely you would need to read documentation if using tools like
rspamd or spamassassin.