On May 3, 2019 10:49:55 PM GMT+03:00, Nick Holland
<n...@holland-consulting.net> wrote:
>On 5/2/19 1:52 AM, Consus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've upgraded my systems from 6.4 to 6.5 without a glitch, but I see
>> that /etc/networks and some other files (like malloc.conf.5) are
>still
>> present, although there is no use for them in the new release.
>>
>> Is there a reason why these files are not listed in "FIles to
>remove"?
>> Is there a way to track them? It's not like something gonna break,
>but
>> old configuration files (and manual pages) lying around can make
>> someone's life harder during the debug session.
>
>There is no promise that an upgraded machine will be file-for-file
>identical to a fresh install.  Here is the list of problems this might
>cause you, as you can see, it's a long list and quite horrible:
>
>* If you use the same hw for 20 years, you might run out of disk space?
>
>Ok, not very long and not very horrible.
>
>You are trying to solve a non-problem.  And sometimes, 'specially on an
>upgraded machine, it's great to see how things WERE when the machine
>was
>set up.  If you really care, go ahead, delete stuff.
>
>Nick.

Hi All,

As I linux guy (my experience in openBSD can be easily measured in days) I can
share the view  of less experienced user that was planing  to upgrade from 6.4
to 6.5 and that eneded with a full reinstall.

I tried to update a VM (stock setup) with a 10 GB disk from 6.4 to 6.5  and
thus it seemed that booting from the 6.5 DVD will do the trick.
Sadly the installer never checked the avalable space , but just started to do
it's stuff until reporting that not enough space is available.

Why did the installer allow installation despite the available space is low (
even windows checks available space :) )???

Why should the end-user delete old unnecessary/problematic files ? Usually we
do have package management system to take care of that (or at least to rename
those files in case we really need them).

For me, system upgrade is a very complicated  and  error prone procedure.

P.S.: No offence here, just sharing my thoughts.

Best Regards,
Strahil Nikolov