On 08/05/2019, noah pugsley <noah.pugs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe I'm a weirdo, but no matter what I use for a window manager, I start
> all programs from the cli.  All.
>
> For Firefox or Chrome something like this:
>
> $ firefox & bw ; exit
>
> bw is a shortcut to an xterm with a bunch of options. Kill the one with the
> console crap and poop out a fresh one.

You probably know this, but just for the record/archives, the
> $ firefox > /dev/null 2>&1 &
line that I quoted earlier should normally take care of "the console crap":
It redirects firefox's stdout to /dev/null, then redirects firefox's
stderr to stdout and thus to /dev/null, and then sets firefox to run
in the background.

(So if, I don't know, bw is perhaps just a script you wrote to avoid
"the console crap", then maybe it's not even necessary? I imagine it
might even be easier to keep your history if you're not constantly
spawning new xterms.
If you're way ahead of me here and if I'm just totally missing the
point, the plot and something obvious, feel free to engage in random
acts of clue-battery. ;)