Shane Lazarus <shane.laza...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks
>
> With 6.6 being released, I figured to try out sysupgrade.
>
> Checking the man page, I note it uses the file /auto_upgrade.conf

You checked the manual page for that filename?  Why that filename?
How did you decide you need to look up that file?

Shane, I'm going to call bullshit on you here.  I think you wrote
your email after the fact in anger, and it so so melodramatic so
I'll follow your approach.

> Sadly, there seems to be no man page or alias for that

Because there does not need to be.

> Checking through the associated autoinstall(8) man page, there is reference
> to the file /upgrade.conf

Because there does not need to be.

> Which also has no link or alias in the man pages.

Because there does not need to be.

> Then I tried looking for man pages associated with /install.conf but again
> without success.

Because there does not need to be.

> Lastly, I browsed through the FAQ, without success either, but if someone
> knows what I missed there, please let me know.

It isn't in the FAQ either, because there does not need to be.

> So, I just ran sysupgrade with no options to see what would happen.

Very adventurous of you.

> Unsurprisingly, it proceeded to install ALL of the sets, without bothering
> to prompt me, or apparently taking note of what was previously selected
> during the initial install of 6.5.

Yes that is what it does.

Was your disk too small, and things didn't fit?

You haven't explained what problem you ran into.

> This is an undesirable trait, with neither apparent documentation or what I
> would consider to be sane defaults.

In your opinion.

> If someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction for how
> to prevent sysupgrade from being unsane, it would be much appreciated.

Oh, that's easy.  If you don't like what it does, don't use it.

Very happy I've been able to point you in the right direction!

Have a nice life.