On 10/17/19 9:49 PM, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> Shane Lazarus <shane.laza...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> I was interested in what it would do by default, and in how I could alter
>> those defaults if I did not like them.
>>
>> The sysupgrade man page informed me of a configuration file.
>
> Your complaint directly referenced the configuration filename
> /auto_upgrade.conf
>
> That filename is not mentioned in the sysupgrade man page, as you just
> claimed.
>
> In fact, it is mentioned nowhere.  Your following complaints are that
> it is mentioned nowhere.

Quoting directly from https://man.openbsd.org/sysupgrade :
"FILES

/auto_upgrade.conf
    Response file for the ramdisk kernel."

Shane, you appear to be on the right track. From what I can tell it seems to be
the same thing as install.conf in autoinstall.

According to autoinstall(8):

"The response file is a line-oriented ASCII text file. The format of each line
is:

question = answer

question is an installer question (not including the question mark) or a
non-ambiguous part of it, consisting of whitespace separated words. answer is
the answer to the question. Passwords may be in plaintext, encrypted with
encrypt(1), or set to ‘*************’ (13 '*'s) to disable password logins, only
permitting alternative access methods (for example, ssh(1) keys)."

Therefore it seems that to ensure that the sets you do not want installed are
not installed you can use the "Set name(s)" question.

For example to just install the base system and no other sets, hypothetically
you would put:
"Set name(s) = -all base66.tgz bsd.mp bsd" in /auto_upgrade.conf

However, looking at the source code this file is created by sysupgrade:

"cat <<__EOT >/auto_upgrade.conf
Location of sets = disk
Pathname to the sets = /home/_sysupgrade/
Set name(s) = done
Directory does not contain SHA256.sig. Continue without verification = yes
__EOT"

Thus you can't really change this unless you want to edit the script directly.

The easiest method to install a limited number of sets would be to use
sysupgrade -n and then remove the sets you do not want from  /home/_sysupgrade
before rebooting.

Hope this helps,
Jacob