Heya

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 11:25 AM Theo de Raadt <dera...@openbsd.org> wrote:

> Shane Lazarus <shane.laza...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks
> >
> > With 6.6 being released, I figured to try out sysupgrade.
> >
> > Checking the man page, I note it uses the file /auto_upgrade.conf
>
> You checked the manual page for that filename?  Why that filename?
> How did you decide you need to look up that file?

I went looking for documentation on how to use the sysupgrade utility.

I was interested in what it would do by default, and in how I could alter
those defaults if I did not like them.

The sysupgrade man page informed me of a configuration file.
As other configuration files are documented, I went looking for the
documentation for the configuration file.

 > So, I just ran sysupgrade with no options to see what would happen.

> Very adventurous of you.

A step I felt was required in order to determine the defaults used.

> > Unsurprisingly, it proceeded to install ALL of the sets, without
> bothering
> > to prompt me, or apparently taking note of what was previously selected
> > during the initial install of 6.5.
>
> Yes that is what it does.
>
> Was your disk too small, and things didn't fit?
>
> You haven't explained what problem you ran into.

My problem is simply a lack of understanding of the utility, and my
subsequent inability to find documentation about configuration files.

That is my problem, and is the reason I asked for pointers on how to
overcome the issue.

> > This is an undesirable trait, with neither apparent documentation or
> what I
> > would consider to be sane defaults.
>
> In your opinion.

Yep, in my own opinion, something that states it upgrades should not
install sets that were not previously installed.

> > If someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction for how
> > to prevent sysupgrade from being unsane, it would be much appreciated.
>
> Oh, that's easy.  If you don't like what it does, don't use it.

Sure.  Happy to completely ignore this utility, given I haven't needed it
before.

> Very happy I've been able to point you in the right direction!
>
> Have a nice life.

Have Fun

Shane