On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 09:42:39AM +0100, Rachel Roch wrote:

> 25 Oct 2020, 01:25 by dera...@openbsd.org:
>
> > Rachel Roch <rr...@tutanota.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Is it just me or is the man entry for??netstart(8) missing a reference to
> >> wg(4) ?
> >>

> > ... and 300 other network interfaces.
> >
> > In otherwords, no, it should not be there.
> >

> OK smart alec, then why bother enumerating any of the non-physical interfaces
> on the man page ???
>
> Afterall, the man page does state at the head of the list "During the system
> boot, netstart is executed. netstart performs the following operations, in
> the sequence given".??
>
> There is little point giving a half-assed description.?? Either you enumerate
> ALL the non-physical interfaces, or otherwise you treat them the same way as
> the physical ones ("Configure all the physical interfaces").
>
> Otherwise you are failing to explain what happens to any of your "300 other
> interfaces".?? Enumerate or don't enumerate, I don't care ... but surely it
> is sensible to pay some reference to them.
>
> Sheesh !

hi.

a diff would have been clearer - personally i originally thought you
were expecting an Xr in SEE ALSO for wg(4).

now i see you are on about the devices listed in DESCRIPTION.
unfortunately that list looks out of date and incomplete (or, always
possible, i have failed to understand the processing in netstart).

we currently have:

- configure non-physical:
trunk vlan pfsync carp
- routing
- rest of non-physical:
pppoe gif gre

whereas /etc/netstart is actually doing:

- configure non-physical:
aggr trunk svlan vlan carp pppoe
- routing
- rest of non-physical:
tun tap gif etherip gre egre mobileip pflow wg

we could try to keep this list up to date, but it may be easier to just
generally describe what netstart is doing.

i'll wait a little to see whether:

- i've understood what netstart is doing correctly
- there are compelling reasons to swing one way or the other

...then offer a diff.

jmc