On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 03:04:23 -0700 (PDT), Praveen wrote:

>Hi,
>   From the man page it appears that spamd relies on
>static information about spam originators.
>Why not a more dynamic scheme ?.
>
>Why not run the content of the mail through a spam
>detector (like dspam), find the spam score and make
>decisions based on that. I know that spam detection
>is no where near perfect but it can be used for
>assigning a 'badness score' to a site(originator of
>email). So a site keeps getting this score and the
>average (per msg) exceeds a we black list the site for
>fixed duration. Similarly for white listing.
>
>'Badness score' and also be assigned for other things,
>like trying to send to non-existant user (a typical
>spammer probe), absence of mx entry etc.
>

>A milter(sendmail/postfix) can be implemented for
>this.
>Thus decisions will be more dynamic and 'configuration
>free'.
>
>Does this sound reasonable ?

No.

That would make spamd into bloatware and much less efficient.

People who want milters, content-inspection, RBL lookups and whatever
can run them in conjunction with their MTA.

spamd does all I want it to do with no measureable load on my system. I
do NO content inspection and there have been only 3 spams total which
got to any user in this domain since 1/1/7.

Content inspection practitioners are always playing catchup and
fiddling with ham/spam training for their toys and then along comes the
next trick of the spammers = back to square one.

Thanks to beck@ and company I don't have to play that silly game.

R\/\/.

In the beginning was The Word
and The Word was Content-type: text/plain
The Word of Rod.