RW wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 03:04:23 -0700 (PDT), Praveen wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>   From the man page it appears that spamd relies on
>> static information about spam originators.
>> Why not a more dynamic scheme ?.
>>
>> Why not run the content of the mail through a spam
>> detector (like dspam), find the spam score and make
>> decisions based on that. I know that spam detection
>> is no where near perfect but it can be used for
>> assigning a 'badness score' to a site(originator of
>> email). So a site keeps getting this score and the
>> average (per msg) exceeds a we black list the site for
>> fixed duration. Similarly for white listing.
>>
>> 'Badness score' and also be assigned for other things,
>> like trying to send to non-existant user (a typical
>> spammer probe), absence of mx entry etc.
>>

>> A milter(sendmail/postfix) can be implemented for
>> this.
>> Thus decisions will be more dynamic and 'configuration
>> free'.
>>
>> Does this sound reasonable ?
>>

> No.
>
> That would make spamd into bloatware and much less efficient.
>
> People who want milters, content-inspection, RBL lookups and whatever
> can run them in conjunction with their MTA.
>
> spamd does all I want it to do with no measureable load on my system. I
> do NO content inspection and there have been only 3 spams total which
> got to any user in this domain since 1/1/7.
>
> Content inspection practitioners are always playing catchup and
> fiddling with ham/spam training for their toys and then along comes the
> next trick of the spammers = back to square one.

i second this. started working at my current job and there was a ton of
spam coming through until i setup spamd. some spam outfits, e.g.
OptInBig.com, took a bit of energy and analysis to block (thrown into
blacklists) but now that it's done, we get very little spam. the amount
of energy i have to expend on a regular basis to keep spamd working
effectively is approximately 0.

> Thanks to beck@ and company I don't have to play that silly game.

here here! carefully reading the RFCs can be a beautiful thing indeed.

cheers,
jake