Steve Shockley wrote:
> ... more important than respecting patents.

You need to differentiate there between legitimate patents and US-style
software patents (which include also business methods, formulas, and
algorithms).  Let's not throw away our analytical ability here.

In regards to RMS, I have yet to see critique of his ideas, especially n
the mainstream media.  Being obnoxious is different than being wrong.
Most, as in this thread, tend to simple concede defeat by launching name
calling and other distractions.  Though even in physical life there are
'tards who would attempt to use a chisel and a flathead screwdriver
interchangeably.  They, like license, do different things.  And
depending on your goal, may not be suitable.

A license is a tool.  Get over it.  Tools are there to accomplish
different goals.  Many projects even provide a choice of licenses.  I
myself have on occasion asked project to use licenses different from
what they had at the time.  Sometimes I've asked for (and gotten)
BSD-style, other times GPL-style.  Depends on what *I* need it for.

The license is a supplemental tool.

There is even a fair amount of overlap between GPL and BSD, especially
if viewed from the perspective of MS-style 'shared' source licenses,
they are nearly identical.  However, the BSD-style licenses have one
purpose.  GPL have another purpose.

Regards
-Lars