Marti Martinez wrote:
Obviously none of us know WHAT you're really trying to do, so this
suggestion may or may not be workable for you, but in your situation
my preferred solution is to set up a crap machine with XP as the
native OS, and just use rdesktop to log in to it.
Not an option...see I work in a unique situation. I need a laptop running XP that I can use to VPN into work for email,etc. I also need XP running on the local LAN for access to local boxes that require the windows java based client. Beyond that I use the host OS to access non windows required apps on the local LAN. Right now Ubuntu does that for me and I run 2 instances of XP on the host OS, I've tried almost every flavor in existence and I keep coming back to Ubuntu because it does the best job. There's plenty of room for improvement with Ubuntu though....little quirky issues and upgrades are a joke, I just wipe it every 6 months. This is the reason I'd love to come back to OpenBSD...less quirkiness, it does what I want, and I fell way better running it than something that does weird things under the hood.