‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Thursday, May 23, 2019 12:34 PM, mabi <m...@protonmail.ch> wrote:

> I still think something is not quite right here as it works perfectly with
> OpenSMTPD 6.4.0 but not with 6.5.0.

I think I found the stinky fish here and that would be Dovecot 2.3.5 with the
following bug which has been fixed in 2.3.6:

lib-smtp: client: Fix infinite loop in XCLIENT command interaction with server.
Source:
https://github.com/dovecot/core/commit/5d03f39b345127b80d145ee90772739baa7ab810

Unfortunately OpenBSD 6.5 comes with Dovecot 2.3.5 so it's unusable if you need
LMTP like in my case. Better stay on OpenBSD 6.4 or wait for 6.6...

Now would be nice if someone with more experience could confirm my hypothesis
here but I have seen the XCLIENT command being issued nonstop while running
that tcpdump port the LMTP port...

Maybe there is a way to disable the XCLIENT command in Dovecot but I guess if
this command is issued during the LMTP session it must then also be required
for some reason.