This doesn't really match your set up, but I have OpenBSD 6.5, dovecot 2.3.5.1 and opensmtpd running with the same action line and it's fine. No errors or issues - I'm not using dovecot proxies however. Just a local delivery to mdbox files.

It upgraded without issues from 6.4 to 6.5.

Like I said, not completely relevant, but the stock packages do work.

Hope that the XCLIENT fix works out for you.