> On 18. Sep 2019, at 09:38, gil...@poolp.org wrote:
>
> September 17, 2019 11:41 PM, "Edgar Pettijohn" <ed...@pettijohn-web.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 17, 2019 9:05 AM, Gilles Chehade <gil...@poolp.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is there anyone using table-passwd for _any_ other purposes than sharing
>>> with Dovecot ?
>>>
>>> I have built a fully virtual setup which shares credentials with Dovecot
>>> and since I managed to do it _without_ table-passwd I'm wondering if the
>>> table backend is really useful and if it was not created because soneone
>>> had overlooked the first few lines of the Dovecot documentation stating:
>>>
>>> "For a password database, it's enough to have only the user and password
>>> fields."
>>>

>> Not actually using it, but for dovecot to use it as a userdb as well as a
>> passdb it needs the
>> additional fields.
>>

> ok so I'm misunderstanding the use-case, let me explain why I'm curious:
>
> I wrote table-passwd because I was told that if you wanted to create a
> virtual setup,
> backed by one single user, you needed to have a passwd(5)-format file for
> Dovecot and
> share that with OpenSMTPD.
>
> But then I did a fully virtual setup for myself and I didn't use
> table-passwd, so the
> rationale behind it falls a bit apart for me, unless there's other use-cases.
>
> On my setup, file /etc/mail/accounts is a simple two columns
> username/password table:
>
> # head -1 /etc/mail/accounts.txt
> gil...@poolp.org:$2b$09$0ek9ozmo1u0mSsiRo/z2AumROLK.70T9A6bP3mFDqb38L0sC5RvT6
> #

[...]
> This allows both OpenSMTPD and Dovecot to authenticate accounts that are not
> system
> users, allows OpenSMTPD to drop mail to a maildir owned by system account in
> charge
> of virtual accounts and allows Dovecot to properly serve these accounts.
>
> Am I missing your use-cases here ?

Yes, this is perfectly fine for simpler cases, but as someone else
mentioned in this thread earlier already:
Dovecot passdb knows about additional fields, in particular
to specify user specific quotas (usually rather important in
virtual user setups). table-passwd can handle/ignore these
extra_fields correctly. So my passwd file lines looks like this:
f...@bar.de:$2b$****::::::userdb_quota_rule=*:storage=10G