On Aug 14, 2009, at 2:37 PM, James Hornaday Jr. wrote:

> Fred:
>
> Might it be possible that:
>
> 1) the military is listening to what the public "says", and appears
> to be taking a rational approach to their perceived problems and has
> decided to avoid making the same mistakes twice.
>
> 2) Congress and the White House are listening in a similar manner,
> and have decided to stonewall it - - "All the loudmouth violent
> disrupters at our town hall meetings that disagree with us are Nazi
> fascists or Rush Limbaugh ditto-heads, and are dangerous people that
> should be locked up in our new National Guard internment camps."
>
> Hmmmmm? just speculating. Maybe it's a mixed blessing/danger that
> 'they' are listening to what the public is saying.

This has often been my experience in defense/industrial circles: the
military officers at all levels, far from being frothing-at-the-mouth
warmongers actually 1) do not want a war because they will be shot at
and 2) care very much what people think and for the image of the
military. It is the CIVILIAN leadership, the contractors, mercenaries
and so forth that you don't want to turn your back on (or your front
without a nice, sharp stick...). They make a fortune by promoting war
and discord.

This is not to say that there are not frothing-at-the-mouth
warmongers, civilian-haters, thieves, con-artists, black-market
operators, and paranoiacs among the military officers or that they
might not be convinced to oppose civilians based on false information,
but that it is no higher than the rest of the population and perhaps
slightly lower. Enlisted military are a different breed which I do not
have as much experience with, but they are not the ones "calling the
shots" so to speak.

I think we want the military listening to what the public is saying
(as opposed to wiretapping and listening in on what you say in
private). The more contact we have between citizens and military, the
less likely there will be a fatal misunderstanding if things get
dicey. Military people are much less likely to follow an illegal order
endangering citizens if there is steady communication.

Sincerely,

Eric Vought
"Faith does not absolve us from trying to understand our world and
make moral distinctions with the eyes and brain given us. Religion is
as much responsibility as direction: Duty not Distinction."