> Hi,
>
> i am currently thinking about capturing and playback 10-bit yuv, but
> have no idea how start handling of it.
>
> ffmpeg has no format for packed 16-bit Y/Cr/Cb samples - only planar.
> v210 is also good, but not used as registered in MLT.
>
> have you any ideas?
>
> --
> Maksym Veremeyenko

Using our current pixel formats, your best option is to convert to RGB
immediately since it has 24bpp - and thus would lose the least data.

Alternately, we could add a new pixel format. I've been thinking about this
some lately. I think we could add one pixel format that maps to
AV_PIX_FMT_YUV422P16BE. Any bit depth greater than 8 could be converted to this
format for processing in MLT. That would at least allow easy conversions
to/from avformat. Personally, I don't care for interleaved formats for
processing. I think interleaved is fine for transmission (e.g. SDI), but I feel
that planar is easier to deal with when processing images in software. That's
just my opinion.

~Brian