On Oct 06, David Harris wrote:
> Young, Geoffrey S wrote:
> >     Thus, it might be worth mentioning that RPMs are a _bad_ idea for
> > those just getting into mod_perl.  That is, unless others have been more
> > successful that I...
>
> I've got mod_perl running just fine with my own Apache package and RedHat's
> mod_perl RPM. I understand that this keeps me from being able to use some stuff
> like request chaining, but I've not had a need for it. I've also stayed away
> from any mod_perl development environments (Embperl, Mason, whatver) and just
> wrote the handlers all myself.
>
> I'm going to package all of my work up today into RPMS and publish them out to
> the production servers, so I'm wondering if I should make my own mod_perl and
> Apache RPM or stick with what I have working. I keep hearing that RPM's and
> mod_perl are evil, but personally everything installed and worked without a
> hitch.
>
> Oh, I remember that I had some trouble compiling libapreq, but copying a few
> mod_perl header files into the system solved that without too much pain.

I'll second these experiences almost exactly (down to the problems
with libapreq, which is where this thread started :).

I upgraded about 40 machines from mod_perl-1.19 to mod_perl-1.21
two days ago via RPM, and it went flawlessly. (And took only a few
minutes since it was just done as one batch process.)

I think the bottom line is that you should know your own environment.
Some people seem to think anything involving RPMs precludes that. For
some people, it may, but I hate to see blanket statements like "don't
use RPM". A more apropros one might be "don't do anything you don't
understand".

Jim