With out going into too much detail I can tell you that you have probably
discovered for yourself that mod_perl on NT only has a single perl
interpreter thread.  Try putting a proxy in front of some backend mod_perl
procs so that when Joe super-slow-connection comes along he doesn't get to
tie up that thread.  But try to get the proxy on a unix box because when I
did this on an NT machine mod_proxy was a dog.

If you are really stuck on NT you may want to mess around with
ActiveState's PerlEx.  I have not done anything with it myself but I
gather that it tries to do the same thing as mod_perl.  The only
difference being that it perlforms alot better than mod_perl does on NT
since it isn't crippled by the single interpreter issue.

Ian