On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, Ask Bj?rn Hansen wrote:

You are misunderstanding the problem of changing the mirroring mechanism.

I am not misunderstanding, I'm just willing to accept the reality for what
it is.  Rsync does not scale.  Period.

Making new software is nice and good -- Andreas already has something that's
better for the PAUSE data.

<G>  That makes my point all the more compelling, then.  Some of the work
has already been done.

Getting 1000s of mirrors to use your software (rather than rsync which they use
for ALL OTHER mirrors -- not so easy.

Perhaps, but it's also possible that it might not be as bad as you think,
either.  You have a strong case to be made that the entire ecosystem
benefits from making this change (particularly in a tiered mirroring
environment), and I'd be surprised if the majority of the mirror operators aren't sympathetic and cooperative. As a sys-admin I watch my SAR reports
like a hawk, I'm sure they're no different.

And that's not to say you have to eliminate rsync.  If you can get half of
them to stop, you'll still have some significant long term gains.

        --Arthur Corliss
          Live Free or Die