From: Elaine Ashton <eash...@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 21:38:16
To: Arthur Corliss<corl...@digitalmages.com>
Cc: Elaine Ashton<eash...@mac.com>; <cpan-work...@perl.org>;
<module-authors@perl.org>
Subject: Re: Trimming the CPAN - "Automatic Purging"

On Mar 27, 2010, at 2:52 PM, Arthur Corliss wrote:

> Don't be such an arrogant prick.  You guys made baseless assumptions about
> people's experience with storage management in an attempt to diregard their
> opinions.  That's being a dick by any metric.

Actually, I thought I was merely offering my opinion both as the sysadmin for
the canonical CPAN mothership and as an end-user. If that makes me a prick,
well, I suppose I should go out and buy one :)

> I think I was quite explicit in saying that efficiencies should be pursued
> in multiple areas, but the predominant bitch I took away from your thread
> dealt with the burden of synchronizing mirrors.  What's the easiest way to
> address that pain?  I don't believe it's your method.  I'd look into the
> size issue *after* you address the incredible inefficiencies of a simple
> rsync.

And you're disregarding a considerable problem that rsync is a well-established
tool for mirroring that is easy to use and works on a very wide range of
platforms. Asking mirror ops to adopt a new tool for mirroring one mirror, when
they often have several or more, likely won't be met with much enthusiasm and
would create two tiers of CPAN mirrors, those using rsync and those not, which
would not only complicate something which should remain simple but, again,
doesn't address the size of the archive and the multitude of small files that
are always a consideration no matter what you're serving them up with.

> Rsync is an excellent tool for smaller file sets.  I use it to sync my own
> mirrors, those mirrors are typically ~10k files.  Am I surprised that it
> doesn't scale when you're stat'ing every single file?  No.  Which is why
> alternatives should be considered.  A simple FTP client playing a
> transaction log forward is trivial.

FTP? It's 2010 and very few corp firewalls allow ftp in or out. I can't
remember the last time I even used ftp come to think of it. I had to go through
2 layers of network red tape just to get rsync for a particular system I wanted
to mirror CPAN to at work. Asking for FTP would have been met with a big no or
a cackle, depending on which of the nyetwork masters got the request first.

> Try doing a simple cost-benefit analysis.  What you guys are proposing will
> help.  But not as much as simpler alternatives.  Like replacing rsync with a
> perl script and modifying PAUSE to log the transactions.

How is replacing rsync, a standard and widely used tool, simpler for mirror
ops? I suppose I don't understand the opposition to trimming off the obvious
cruft on CPAN to lighten the load when BackPAN exists to archive them. There is
already CPAN::Mini (which was created back when CPAN was an ever-so-tiny 1.2GB)
so it's not as though lightening the load is a new idea or an unwelcome one.

e.