My memory of it -- both at the time and what I was told after I had
started working in the movie business 10 years later -- was that
2001 opened in 1968 and didn't do well.  It stayed around in a few
houses mostly in big cities and college towns, sometimes only
playing on weekends, and getting the artsy types and acid takers
but for the most part it got pulled.  Then in 1970, it got a fairly
major new release.  The studio didn't think of it as being in
continuous release, no more than showing up at a revival theater
in the 1980s put a picture into re-release.

Craig.