I know that I'm not in the "target market." I have crowns on my teeth and
according to my dentist, popcorn is a dentist's best friend. I haven't
tasted popcorn in over twenty years. FRANC

-----Original Message-----
From: MoPo List [mailto:mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU] On Behalf Of Kirby
McDaniel
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 10:59 AM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Man Sues over cost of Movie Snacks

Look.

I am not grateful to them for charging thirteen bucks for the popcorn pack.
I KNOW I should be, but I'm just NOT.  And I'm crushed that I'm not in their
target market.

Kirby

On Mar 8, 2012, at 9:24 AM, Evan Zweifel wrote:

> Look.
>
> Imagine for a second that they could make more profit by lowering the
> price of the popcorn and drinks and (as you suggest) sell a lot more.
> Well, they would certainly do that regardless of the split between the
> studio and the theater.  Otherwise they would be idiots.
>
> I'm pretty sure that they have found the right price for the
> concessions; you just aren't willing to pay it.
>
> You should accept the fact that you are not in their target market and
> get over it.  The chemicals they put on the popcorn aren't good for you
anyway; you will live longer and better if you stay away.  You should THANK
them for pricing it that way.

> Evan

The sweet spot, Evan, the sweet spot.

> K.
>

> On Mar 7, 2012, at 1:49 PM, Evan Zweifel wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry, I think you've forgotten what you learned in your econ
>> classes.  The price of popcorn is not related to the percentage of
>> the gate.  They would charge $100 for a small popcorn if the audience
>> would pay it.  Certainly you don't believe that if the studios
>> reduced their percentage, the theaters would charge less, do you??
>> Really??
>>
>> Evan

food and drinks keep them going.  If families/individuals cannot afford the
concessions they should stay away from them.   How about the cost of the
video games?  When I go to the theaters I see those rooms filled to capacity
with mostly school age students spending lots of money for a minute or two
worth of play.  Big bucket of popcorn and largest sodas usually include free
refills.  Certain nights there is unlimited popcorn for one price.

for years.  A few percentage points