>From my own experience with "rare", non-movie poster items on eBay, I'd be
willing to bet if the bidding starts at 99 cents or $9.99, this rarest of
rare  Alien books will sell for a hundred bucks or less...

In a message dated 6/22/2012 7:41:24 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
jeffrey.wal...@fisglobal.com writes:

I say  let the market speak for itself....start the book off low...if it is
truly a  unique piece you will usually get near what the market can bear.
Aside  from props on the Alien movie I don't see a ton of value in the
paper.   It was a good movie but nowhere as influential as Star Wars, which
this
movie  probably would have not been made without it.  Star Wars has some
movie  paper that can bring a few thousand dollars...the birthday cake, the
mylars,  etc...but I have yet to see any Alien paper to bring even $500 or
more.   Plus when you say less than 30..means there is still a supply (29 is
still a  lot) out there so the price doesn't justify the demand for a few
photos.

-----Original Message-----
From: MoPo List  [mailto:mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU] On Behalf Of Freeman
Fisher
Sent:  Friday, June 22, 2012 9:51 AM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Subject:  Re: [MOPO] Rare ALIEN Glory book -- less than 30 produced

I tried  nicely to explain to you nicely about the impressive bid brochures
I received  in the 70's including exactly the ALIEN book you are selling
and also sited  other examples including OUTLAND, EXCALIBUR and others,
printed on  photographic paper then spiral bound and sent to others outside the
studio in  the industry.

I am not going to get in a pissing match with you  because you're tiresome.
   If you look at my original post I tried  to explain that some were
photographic, others offset/printed depending on the  needs.  Indeed they are
still scarce
but to claim "less than 30  printed" is preposterous.  If you knew how many
execs were at Fox (that  doesn't even include producers, licensing etc.) at
the time you would know  even that amount doesn't hold water.  Also we
received these books well  before a single poster was printed or trailer
created......literally in some  cases a year in advance as was the case here.

But good look on your  endeavors and pricing.

freeman

On Jun 22, 2012, at 6:17 AM,  Geraldine Kudaka wrote:

> These are not off-set printed booklets.
>
> These are made of individual photographs printed by Stanley  Bielecki's
photo lab using Bob Penn's negatives. Stanley Bielecki printed them  in his
darkroom using  Kodak photographic stock paper... they were then  bound using
one of the folio spiral bindings you could get at office supplies.  If you
look at the Alien text page -- the one with white lettering on a black  box
-- you'll see the copyright was added as an after thought with a typed  file
folder label.

> It's easy to think the images are on  paper, but they're not.
>
> Stanley Bielecki was also the same  photographer who hand printed the
photos that were folio bound into the Star  Wars cast and crew wrap gifts --
the Glory Book.

> Please look  up the history of Star Wars Glory books. This item is a
known collectors item  and can be found online at other places than
mrsminiver's
ebay listing,  390426055170  Lucasfilm and Gus Lopez on swca.com used to
have it up, as  well as some movie prop collectors sites, but I can't find it
right now in a 2  minute search. I'm sure you can find proof of its
existence by searching the  web.

> As the Star Wars Glory Book is known among collectors --  one MOPO dealer
even contacted us to buy ours after we started posting about  our Heritage
problem -- and its provable, limited production is not simply a  statement I
am  making to increase it's rarity, it is Star Wars  history.

> You are talking about the manufactured  booklets that were offset printed
for distribution. Not the same beast. The  way to tell is to look at the
paper stock and Alien copyright -- was it a file  folder label pasted on as an
afterthought?

> Believe me, by the  time they get around to sending stuff to theater
distributors, the copyright  is not an afterthought.

> If you want the promo theater  booklet for Star Wars, we have SEALED,
unopened boxes of the theater folio,  which still have intact the embossed Star
Wars logo ribbon. These are SEALED,  unopened boxes...

> To get an idea of the off-set Star Wars  booklet, you can go here:
>
>  http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=11327001
>
> They were  originally sent in a white mailer-type of box with a ribbon
closure. The  folios, without their boxes, are very common. The folios with
open boxes  sometimes come up on ebay.

>  https://dl.dropbox.com/u/86409487/cam1.JPG
>
>  https://dl.dropbox.com/u/86409487/Cam9.JPG
>
> The sealed,  unopened boxes are rarer... How many people receive a box
and don't open  it?

> You can also ask Rudy Franchi about Charley's marketing  of Star Wars.
>
> Charley's marketing of Star Wars, especially  the advance merchandising
and licensing, changed the way movies are marketed.  There were a few films
released before Star Wars with advance merchandising  and licensing, such as
Paramount's "The Great Gatsby" and 20th Century's  "Doctor Doolittle" but
for box office results -- but it was Star Wars' Kenner  line which changed
movie marketing.

those markets  represented  Blind bidding was when a theatre chain had to
commit
to a  film, sometimes a year in advance, with terms outlined (1st two weeks
at 70%  2nd two weeks at 60% etc.) and frequently putting up at times tens
of  thousands if not all together 100's of thousands of dollars on the
blockbusters  WITHOUT EVER SEEING A SCRAP OF FILM.  So these  booklets were
sent
out prior to bidding and came in all kinds of  formats.....some just a
couple of fold out pages to nice booklets with on set  photography.  If my
memory isn't completely failing, I recall booklets on  STAR WARS, ALIEN, BLADE
RUNNER, APOCALYPSE NOW, WILLOW, OUTLAND, EXCALIBUR and  a few others that were
really impressive.  Others like ET (at the time  called A BOY'S LIFE)  were
just gate folded brochures (no picture of ET  for sure that was such a huge
secret). Same with RAIDERS OF THE LOST  ARK,  CLASH OF THE TITANS, etc. etc.
> > And then some were just  a single printed sheet saying who starred,
> > produced and  directed.  (Can you imagine buying a car with a tarp
> > over  it and being given just a description and some art, commit to
> >  it, and not expect delivery for 9 to 12 months.......that was blind
>  > bidding!)
> >
> > Anyway to say only 30 were made is  preposterous.  Just in Texas alone
there had to be at least 25 to  35 theatre chains, each film buyer and
marketing guy receiving a copy. In the  theatre chain I worked at, we usually
would receive four to five and we were  only in San Antonio.  Now  multiply
those number by triple (or more)  to accommodate the personnel at circuits
like Plitt, AMC, General Cinema,  United Artists, Mann,  and you can see the
numbers required approach a  1000 in no time.  Plus certain critics at the
major National News  agencies received copies on occasion.

> > Also a little  common sense is in order. Once a brochure is on the
printing press, or photos  being printed and spiral bound,  do you honestly
think under 30 would be  printed?  Because once on the presses it almost as
cheap to print  several  thousand as it is 20. The $$ are in the set-up.

> > These pieces were not dissimilar to the Studio  Release books from the
1930's that pop up frequently.

>  >
> > So while it makes for great Ebay copy to limit their  numbers to
generate a false sense of scarcity.  This is not the case with  these marketing
tools. Whether they have ever been in an auction or not is  irrelevant.
> > While you can ask whatever price you like,  ($5000)  as a MOPO buddy I
just hate to see someone look so  foolish..

> > freeman fisher
> >

>  >

> > On Jun 21, 2012,  at 7:33 AM, Geraldine Kudaka wrote:
> >
> > > We've  decided to put up our own auctions. Will be announcing posters
later, but  thought the avid Alien collector might be interested in this
ebay  item.

> > > Based on the successful marketing of  Star Wars, Charley Lippincott
was hired by Johnny Friedkin / Fox to market  Alien.

lists...@listserv.american.edu
>            In the BODY of your message type: SIGNOFF MOPO-L
>        The author of this message is solely  responsible for its content.
>

> Visit the MoPo Mailing  List Web Site at www.filmfan.com
> SIGNOFF MOPO-L The author of this message is solely responsible for
> its content.

Send a message addressed to:  lists...@listserv.american.edu
In  the BODY of your message type: SIGNOFF MOPO-L

The author of this message is solely  responsible for its content.

The information contained  in this message is proprietary and/or
confidential. If you are not the  intended recipient, please: (i) delete the
message
and all copies; (ii) do not  disclose, distribute or use the message in any
manner; and (iii) notify the  sender immediately. In addition, please be
aware that any message addressed to  our domain is subject to archiving and
review by persons other than the  intended recipient. Thank you.