Great photo...

________________________________
 From: Jay Pea <spitfire3...@yahoo.com>
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] Rare ALIEN Glory book -- less than 30 produced

And the man inside:

--- On Fri, 6/22/12, John Waldman <jhnwald...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>From: John Waldman <jhnwald...@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: [MOPO] Rare ALIEN Glory book -- less than 30 produced
>To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
>Date: Friday, June 22, 2012, 1:12 PM
>

>This is great.
>
>JW

I have similar ring binder books for Willow and for Chariots of Fire. I may
even have more than one each and I may even have others it's obvious that some
are just photographic prints, while others look like they were printed editions
At 10:59 AM 6/21/2012, Freeman Fisher wrote: > Geraldine, > Your description of
this ALIEN booklet is not accurate.  These booklets were sent out to exhibitor
owners and execs.  Back in the 1970's  there still existed numerous blind bid
states.  I worked in Texas >  and it was the most extreme example given the
sizes of Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio and Austin and the money
those markets represented >  Blind bidding was when a theatre chain had to
commit to a film, sometimes a year in advance, with terms outlined (1st two
weeks at 70% 2nd two weeks at 60% etc.) and frequently putting up at times tens
of thousands > if not all together 100's of thousands of dollars on the
blockbusters  WITHOUT EVER SEEING A
 SCRAP OF FILM.  So these booklets were sent out prior to bidding and came in
all kinds of formats.....some just a couple of fold out pages to nice booklets
with on set photography.  If my memory isn't completely failing, I recall
booklets on STAR WARS, ALIEN, BLADE RUNNER, APOCALYPSE NOW, WILLOW, OUTLAND,
EXCALIBUR and a few others that > were really impressive.  Others like ET (at
the time called A BOY'S LIFE)  were just gate folded brochures (no picture of
ET for sure that was such a huge secret). Same with RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK,
CLASH OF THE TITANS, etc. etc. > And then some were just a single printed sheet
saying who starred, produced and directed.  (Can you imagine buying a car with
a tarp over it and being given just a description and some art, commit to it,
and not expect delivery > for 9 to 12 months.......that was blind bidding!) > >
Anyway to say only 30 were made is preposterous.  Just in Texas alone  there
had to be at least 25 to
 35 theatre chains, each film buyer and marketing guy receiving a copy. In the
theatre chain I worked at, we usually would receive four to five and we were
only in San Antonio.  Now  multiply those number by triple (or more) to
accommodate the personnel at circuits like Plitt, AMC, General Cinema, United
Artists, Mann,  and you can see the numbers required approach a 1000 in no
time.  Plus certain critics at the major National News agencies received copies
on occasion. > > Also a little common sense is in order. Once a brochure is on
the printing press, or photos being printed and spiral bound,  do you honestly
think under 30 would be printed?  Because once on the presses it almost as
cheap to print several  thousand as it is 20. The $$ are in the set-up. > > >
These pieces were not dissimilar to the Studio Release books from the 1930's
that pop up frequently. > > > So while it makes for great Ebay copy to limit
their numbers to generate a false
 sense of scarcity.  This is not the case with these marketing tools. Whether
they have ever been in an auction or not is irrelevant. > While you can ask
whatever price you like, ($5000)  as a MOPO buddy I just hate to see someone
look so foolish.. > > > freeman fisher > > > > > > > > > > > On Jun 21, 2012,
at 7:33 AM, Geraldine Kudaka wrote: > > > We've decided to put up our own
auctions. Will be announcing posters later, but thought the avid Alien
collector might be interested in this ebay item. > > > > Based on the
successful marketing of Star Wars, Charley Lippincott was hired by Johnny
Friedkin / Fox to market Alien. > > > > This ebay auction is for a rare photo
booklet made for Fox's studio heads. > > > > ebay listing  290731119615 > >
Visit the MoPo Mailing List Web Site at http://www.filmfan.com/ > >