Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 12:37:02 -0700
From: sa...@comic-art.com
Subject: Re: [MOPO] HA shipping costs
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU

folks..

let's get real on shipping costs. to do so, I'm going to explain what
shipping is like to sellers

first of all, while it does seem that buyers pay shipping costs - it
isn't completely true (if it's true at all)

for instance, let's say you as a buyer find something in a store for $50.
You want one, but you say "let's see if I can find this cheaper on
the net"

you look and find one priced at $40, but the shipping cost is $10. That
equals $50 and is no deal, so you keep looking. you can't find another,
so you contact the seller and ask if he'll go $30, which he does, you pay
$40 total, get your item.

But the dealer.. he's really paying the shipping. Why? Because in order
to sell you the item, he had to drop $20 from the original price,
originally discounted to $40 and then custom discounted to $30. That $10
came out of the seller's sale, not from your pocket. The dealer's total
discount is 40% of the "list price"

the bigger problem to the dealer however is that the $10 shipping cost
didn't really cover all the costs.

when I get $14 to ship a package to NYC, I'm actually losing $2-4 per
package!

why? well a 2lb package (any package with 2 posters is over one pound)
costs $11.55, so after shipping itself, there is $2.45 left for labor and
materials

my materials cost for a simple package: 2 pieces of cardboard @47cents
(shipped to me)= 94cents. a plastic bag 16cents, a label (& ink) 42
cents. tape, order print out, maybe a flyer and then, labor.

How much is labor per package - well I know as we've done all the
actuarial stuff here. no person who has ever worked for me ever made more
than 5 packages per hour and the average is 3.5 packages per hour. easy
math, if I'm paying $10 and hour, that is $3 in labor per package. So
94+16+42+3.00= $4.52. add another 30 cents for the misc (tape etc) and
you have about $4.82 in packaging costs, but you only got $2.45 to cover
it. So there is a loss of $2.37 per package. It gets worse if the item is
rolled as I can't put that in any of the free packaging boxes that the
USPS provides. a Tube costs $1.67 shipped. Or if I have to use my own box
because the Priority Mail box is too small or whatever reason. $2.37+
$1.67= $4.04 loss, per package

think of doing that 50 times a week. it becomes a serious extra cost and
was one of the reasons I had to stop doing a weekly auction (aside from
just being enable to do that much work, even with help)

International orders used to be even worse, because unless your package
was shipping Priority Mail, I had to stand on line at the post office to
do the mailings. Okay, here's that math = 20 mins drive to the po,
30-45min line wait & counter service (sometimes even more) and then a
20min drive back. a hour or more of my time and I couldn't send any help
as I either paid with a check or my card, which an employee couldn't do
and my hours are more costly than an employees.

Thankfully, I finally was able to get Stamps.com installed on one
computer (it only works on one computer. all others it freezes up..what a
pain) so now I don't have to stand on line at all

but what's my loss on international shipping? It's more than the standard
loss on domestic as I must use all purchased packaging

now I don't want to seem unsympathetic to buyers domestically or
internationally and I understand your pain, but really when I hear people
complain about shipping costs - why don't you just stick a screwdriver in
my ear as the pain on my side is not much different

that said, I've posted that a new auction begins on July 29th

we'll have a semi-regular monthly auction, probably 8 or so auctions
annually. Auctions will all start at $9.99 or $10.00 (I believe my
software does not allow cents - I have to check) and the auction will
have lobby cards for Jailhouse Rock, the Outlaw and others, folded one
sheets (including Jaws 1975R), promo items, and other stuff that can all
ship in a single package. a further announcement will be coming after I
finish photographing the 150 or so items for this auction.

thanks for reading. stop complaining

Rich