From: MoPo List <mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU> on behalf of Tommy Barr
<tommymb...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2023 12:40 PM
To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU <MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
Subject: Re: [MOPO] What was the most grueling high rated movie you have
watched?

I think this discussion, particularly Bruce's contribution, raises an
interesting question about the purpose of films. Are they simply to entertain,
or can some be more challenging art? I haven't seen Jeanne Dielman etc., but
from what I read it is supposed to be boring and gruelling even, as it reflects
the eponymous protagonist's life. Certainly there may be a 'woke' element to
the critics' choice of best film ever, but that does not necessarily detract
from its worth as an artistic endeavour.

Tommy

On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 at 11:58, Larry Brooks
<0000021723856377-dmarc-requ...@listserv.american.edu<mailto:0000021723856377-dmarc-requ...@listserv.american.edu>>
 wrote:
I really, really, Really hated THE ENGLISH PATIENT. Not just me, but every
single guy I knew literally detested this film; it bored the pants off us - we
found it incredibly tedious, vapid, cloying, and interminable - we'd sit there
waiting for this thing to finally end.  But every girl we knew Loved it, so go
figure. For us it was 100% ungodly movie torture.

[https://s-install.avcdn.net/ipm/preview/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png]<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>

On Sun, Jul 16, 2023 at 11:56 PM Greg Douglass