"In the Metaphysics of Quality this dilemma doesn't come up. To the
extent that one's behavior is CONTROLLED by static patterns of quality
it is without choice. But to the extent that one FOLLOWS Dynamic
Quality, which is undefinable, one's behavior is free." (Pirsig)

[Dan]
> When we FOLLOW static patterns of quality, we are without choice.

Note that Pirsig says CONTROLLED not FOLLOW.  He leaves it open whether
we can choose to follow static patterns.

[Dan]
> Marriage is a social pattern of quality predicated on monogamy. There
> is no choice involved once two people are married.

Not so. Couples can agree on an "open marriage" where there are other
sexual choices possible or on "spouse swapping" where respective partners are
are paired with another couple.
Craig