> dmb says:
> I've been trying to get you to respond to this criticism for a long time now
> but it really seems that you don't understand the problem. You say here that
> you will oblige me and explain once again, but I'm telling you that you
> haven't explained it even once. If you think you've given any answer to my
> question in the post I'm responding to, or anywhere else, then you do not
> understand the question. Believe me. I know what I'm asking and I'm telling
> you that the question has not been answered. And if you cannot answer that
> question, then you have been defeated on that point. It's not just you,
> Steve. I'm betting nobody can give a satisfactory answer because there isn't
> one. I certainly can't think of one plausible example.
>
> If we are not free to choose our actions, how can we be held responsible for
> those actions? Put another way, how can there be moral responsibility without
> some kind of human agency? I'm not asking about SOM or the MOQ. I'm only
> asking about the simple logical connection between agency and morality,
> regardless of the metaphysical framework.

Steve:
I'll let Sam Harris explain...

"There is a distinction between voluntary and involuntary actions, of
course, but it does nothing to support the common idea of free will
(nor does it depend upon it). The former are associated with felt
intentions (desires, goals, expectations, etc.) while the latter are
not. All of the conventional distinctions we like to make between
degrees of intent—from the bizarre neurological complaint of alien
hand syndrome to the premeditated actions of a sniper—can be
maintained: for they simply describe what else was arising in the mind
at the time an action occurred. A voluntary action is accompanied by
the felt intention to carry it out, while an involuntary action isn’t.
Where our intentions themselves come from, however, and what
determines their character in every instant, remains perfectly
mysterious in subjective terms. Our sense of free will arises from a
failure to appreciate this fact: we do not know what we will intend to
do until the intention itself arises. To see this is to realize that
you are not the author of your thoughts and actions in the way that
people generally suppose. This insight does not make social and
political freedom any less important, however. The freedom to do what
one intends, and not to do otherwise, is no less valuable than it ever
was.

While all of this can sound very abstract, it is important to realize
that the question of free will is no mere curio of philosophy
seminars. A belief in free will underwrites both the religious notion
of “sin” and our enduring commitment to retributive justice. The
Supreme Court has called free will a “universal and persistent”
foundation for our system of law, distinct from “a deterministic view
of human conduct that is inconsistent with the underlying precepts of
our criminal justice system” (United States v. Grayson, 1978). Any
scientific developments that threatened our notion of free will would
seem to put the ethics of punishing people for their bad behavior in
question.

The great worry is that any honest discussion of the underlying causes
of human behavior seems to erode the notion of moral responsibility.
If we view people as neuronal weather patterns, how can we coherently
speak about morality? And if we remain committed to seeing people as
people, some who can be reasoned with and some who cannot, it seems
that we must find some notion of personal responsibility that fits the
facts.

Happily, we can. What does it really mean to take responsibility for
an action? For instance, yesterday I went to the market; as it turns
out, I was fully clothed, did not steal anything, and did not buy
anchovies. To say that I was responsible for my behavior is simply to
say that what I did was sufficiently in keeping with my thoughts,
intentions, beliefs, and desires to be considered an extension of
them. If, on the other hand, I had found myself standing in the market
naked, intent upon stealing as many tins of anchovies as I could
carry, this behavior would be totally out of character; I would feel
that I was not in my right mind, or that I was otherwise not
responsible for my actions. Judgments of responsibility, therefore,
depend upon the overall complexion of one’s mind, not on the
metaphysics of mental cause and effect.
Consider the following examples of human violence:

A four-year-old boy was playing with his father’s gun and killed a
young woman. The gun had been kept loaded and unsecured in a dresser
drawer.

A twelve-year-old boy, who had been the victim of continuous physical
and emotional abuse, took his father’s gun and intentionally shot and
killed a young woman because she was teasing him.

A twenty-five-year-old man, who had been the victim of continuous
abuse as a child, intentionally shot and killed his girlfriend because
she left him for another man.

A twenty-five-year-old man, who had been raised by wonderful parents
and never abused, intentionally shot and killed a young woman he had
never met “just for the fun of it.”

A twenty-five-year-old man, who had been raised by wonderful parents
and never abused, intentionally shot and killed a young woman he had
never met “just for the fun of it.” An MRI of the man’s brain revealed
a tumor the size of a golf ball in his medial prefrontal cortex (a
region responsible for the control of emotion and behavioral
impulses).

In each case a young woman has died, and in each case her death was
the result of events arising in the brain of another human being. The
degree of moral outrage we feel clearly depends on the background
conditions described in each case. We suspect that a four-year-old
child cannot truly intend to kill someone and that the intentions of a
twelve-year-old do not run as deep as those of an adult. In both cases
1 and 2, we know that the brain of the killer has not fully matured
and that all the responsibilities of personhood have not yet been
conferred. The history of abuse and precipitating cause in example 3
seem to mitigate the man’s guilt: this was a crime of passion
committed by a person who had himself suffered at the hands of others.
In 4, we have no abuse, and the motive brands the perpetrator a
psychopath. In 5, we appear to have the same psychopathic behavior and
motive, but a brain tumor somehow changes the moral calculus entirely:
given its location, it seems to divest the killer of all
responsibility. How can we make sense of these gradations of moral
blame when brains and their background influences are, in every case,
and to exactly the same degree, the real cause of a woman’s death?

It seems to me that we need not have any illusions about a causal
agent living within the human mind to condemn such a mind as
unethical, negligent, or even evil, and therefore liable to occasion
further harm. What we condemn in another person is the intention to do
harm—and thus any condition or circumstance (e.g., accident, mental
illness, youth) that makes it unlikely that a person could harbor such
an intention would mitigate guilt, without any recourse to notions of
free will. Likewise, degrees of guilt could be judged, as they are
now, by reference to the facts of the case: the personality of the
accused, his prior offenses, his patterns of association with others,
his use of intoxicants, his confessed intentions with regard to the
victim, etc. If a person’s actions seem to have been entirely out of
character, this will influence our sense of the risk he now poses to
others. If the accused appears unrepentant and anxious to kill again,
we need entertain no notions of free will to consider him a danger to
society.

Why is the conscious decision to do another person harm particularly
blameworthy? Because consciousness is, among other things, the context
in which our intentions become available to us. What we do subsequent
to conscious planning tends to most fully reflect the global
properties of our minds—our beliefs, desires, goals, prejudices, etc.
If, after weeks of deliberation, library research, and debate with
your friends, you still decide to kill the king—well, then killing the
king really reflects the sort of person you are.

While viewing human beings as forces of nature does not prevent us
from thinking in terms of moral responsibility, it does call the logic
of retribution into question. Clearly, we need to build prisons for
people who are intent upon harming others. But if we could incarcerate
earthquakes and hurricanes for their crimes, we would build prisons
for them as well. The men and women on death row have some combination
of bad genes, bad parents, bad ideas, and bad luck—which of these
quantities, exactly, were they responsible for? No human being stands
as author to his own genes or his upbringing, and yet we have every
reason to believe that these factors determine his character
throughout life. Our system of justice should reflect our
understanding that each of us could have been dealt a very different
hand in life. In fact, it seems immoral not to recognize just how much
luck is involved in morality itself.
Consider what would happen if we discovered a cure for human evil.
Imagine, for the sake of argument, that every relevant change in the
human brain can be made cheaply, painlessly, and safely. The cure for
psychopathy can be put directly into the food supply like vitamin D.
Evil is now nothing more than a nutritional deficiency.

If we imagine that a cure for evil exists, we can see that our
retributive impulse is ethically flawed. Consider, for instance, the
prospect of withholding the cure for evil from a murderer as part of
his punishment. Would this make any sense at all? What could it
possibly mean to say that a person deserves to have this treatment
withheld? What if the treatment had been available prior to his crime?
Would he still be responsible for his actions? It seems far more
likely that those who had been aware of his case would be indicted for
negligence. Would it make any sense at all to deny surgery to the man
in example 5 as a punishment if we knew the brain tumor was the
proximate cause of his violence? Of course not. The urge for
retribution, therefore, seems to depend upon our not seeing the
underlying causes of human behavior.
Despite our attachment to notions of free will, most us know that
disorders of the brain can trump the best intentions of the mind. This
shift in understanding represents progress toward a deeper, more
consistent, and more compassionate view of our common humanity—and we
should note that this is progress away from religious metaphysics. Few
concepts have offered greater scope for human cruelty than the idea of
an immortal soul that stands independent of all material influences,
ranging from genes to economic systems. And yet one of the fears
surrounding our progress in neuroscience is that this knowledge will
dehumanize us.

Could thinking about the mind as the product of the physical brain
diminish our compassion for one another? While it is reasonable to ask
this question, it seems to me that, on balance, soul/body dualism has
been the enemy of compassion. The moral stigma that still surrounds
disorders of mood and cognition seems largely the result of viewing
the mind as distinct from the brain. When the pancreas fails to
produce insulin, there is no shame in taking synthetic insulin to
compensate for its lost function. Many people do not feel the same way
about regulating mood with antidepressants (for reasons that appear
quite distinct from any concern about potential side effects). If this
bias has diminished in recent years, it has been because of an
increased appreciation of the brain as a physical organ.

However, the issue of retribution is a genuinely tricky one. In a
fascinating article in The New Yorker, Jared Diamond writes of the
high price we often pay for leaving vengeance to the state.  He
compares the experience of his friend Daniel, a New Guinea highlander,
who avenged the death of a paternal uncle and felt exquisite relief,
to the tragic experience of his late father-in-law, who had the
opportunity to kill the man who murdered his family during the
Holocaust but opted instead to turn him over to the police. After
spending only a year in jail, the killer was released, and Diamond’s
father-in-law spent the last sixty years of his life “tormented by
regret and guilt.” While there is much to be said against the vendetta
culture of the New Guinea Highlands, it is clear that the practice of
taking vengeance answers to a common psychological need.

We are deeply disposed to perceive people as the authors of their
actions, to hold them responsible for the wrongs they do us, and to
feel that these debts must be repaid. Often, the only compensation
that seems appropriate requires that the perpetrator of a crime suffer
or forfeit his life. It remains to be seen how the best system of
justice would steward these impulses. Clearly, a full account of the
causes of human behavior should undermine our natural response to
injustice, at least to some degree. It seems doubtful, for instance,
that Diamond’s father-in- law would have suffered the same pangs of
unrequited vengeance if his family had been trampled by an elephant or
laid low by cholera. Similarly, we can expect that his regret would
have been significantly eased if he had learned that his family’s
killer had lived a flawlessly moral life until a virus began ravaging
his medial prefrontal cortex.

It may be that a sham form of retribution could still be moral, if it
led people to behave far better than they otherwise would. Whether it
is useful to emphasize the punishment of certain criminals—rather than
their containment or rehabilitation—is a question for social and
psychological science. But it seems clear that a desire for
retribution, based upon the idea that each person is the free author
of his thoughts and actions, rests on a cognitive and emotional
illusion—and perpetuates a moral one."