I agree with you on the subject of firearms but they do have a place (last
night I watched a documentary on how the Taliban have been massacring their
own Afghan countrymen, wiping out villages etc,there was film showing people
being executed for no reason, the villagers value their lives and are using
violence to defend themselves and their children-who else is going to do
it?should they lay down and die?).
        Re:
Recently a friend left my house and walked to the local tube station (metro)
across a local park. A fourteen year old boy was bullying an eleven year old
boy, so my friend intervened and separated them. The fourteen year old went
off and got his friends, and attacked my friend before he reached the far
side of the park,causing a fractured cheekbone that needed hospital
treatment.
        Recently in the UK a young 11yr old boy was bullied (stabbed) by 4
boys of 14-15yrs. There were several passers by who witnessed it and did not
step in, phone for police, the poor boy was left to die. This was a child
who was returning home after computer club and was picked on presumably
randomly.The quality question is "Is a cheekbone WORTH more than a human
life",seeing as how the intellectual level values an idea over a society I
think not.i agree with most of what you say, I used to know a lot of violent
people and know the background that has led some of them down that road,but
decent law abiding people have a right to defend themselves. Common sense
and a bit of forethought will keep you out of a lot of situations, but a
colleague of mine got mugged less than a 100yards from work not so long ago,
he was a pacifist.
 Your friend sounds like a decent guy, I hope he's ok now.
(excuse me for preuming your friend is female)
stephen