Greetings all!

I hope you don't mind me butting in here but I've just joined the list and am eager to participate in the discussions. I have just finished reading Lila dn I read Zena nd the the art last year. Pirsig is the world's greatest living philosopher imnsho and he has much of relevance to say to all today's problems.

wrt the discussion on guns it is clear that the more guns you have the more people will get shot! Hey I ddon't have to be a genius to figure that out. The key to understanding this is: TO KILL A PERSON IS TO DESTROY A SOURCE OF THOUGHT. Now I don't support the actions of the likes of Timonty McVeigh but it is clear that he should not have been executed, because he was a SOURCE OF THOUGHT.

For society to grow and prosper we must heed PIrsig's ideas and evolve beyond archaic ideas of revenge as a means of justice

KB

Previous message: Jonathan B. Marder: "Re: MD Religion/God ~ MoQ/DQ" In reply to: N. Glen Dickey: "RE: MD Real Libertarians Please Stand Up" Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Greetings Glen, You wrote: > Define "more likely". Vermont and Alaska both have damn near zero gun laws > and very little crime, nothing on the scale of California. Have you spent > much time around firearms to where you can honestly make this claim? I have > and it seems pretty foundless. My point is that where the underlying causes of aggression are similar, if firearms are not widely available, less people will be shot. (Compare the murder rates of inner city London with inner city Washington DC). That doesn't seem an outrageous claim. > Sam wrote: > > To look at it purely in MoQ terms for a moment this diminishes the > resources available > > for the intellectual level and is therefore a low quality environment, it > is one in > > which the potential to move to higher levels and experience DQ etc is > diminished. > > You've lost me. Are you equating maximizing resources for the experience of > dynamic quality as the goal of existence? Where does it say that in Lila? > Elizaphanian you preach and I'll turn the pages! "Whenever you kill a human being you are killing a source of thought too. A human being is a collection of ideas, and these ideas take moral precedence over a society. Ideas are patterns of value. They are at a higher level of evolution than social patterns of value......That was the real moral lesson of the brujo in Zuni. If those priests had killed him they would have done great harm to their society's ability to grow and change." (Lila, ch 13) Sam _____________________________________________________________ ManchesterAds.com http://www.manchesterads.com Free Classified Ads