Sam,
Although I don't disagree with you on your main points in your last post
about the need to utilize some sort of low level restraint when it comes to
individuals who are behaving violently, I feel the need to disagree with
your statement, "And the fact that it IS young men who cause the vast
majority of the problems is just one of the reasons for thinking that it is
a biological problem (hormonal overload)...".  It's really unfair to blame
the problem of violence in young males so largely on hormones.  I know many
teenage males who would be classified as "violent", and I know very few who
don't act violently because of social issues, issues of race and class, as
well as issues with the school system itself and the police themselves.
That is, they're saying "I see something wrong with the system, and this
system has not provided me with any tools to change it legally.  My voice,
as a teenager (or a female or an African American or a person in poverty
or...) will not be heard, unless I make it heard."  Hormones play little
part in it, and the part they play involves the methods they use, not the
reason for action.  These "social controls" only make the problem worse.  A
lot of the trouble starts when these "social controls" are applied to people
who don't need them in the first place, people who are not a social threat
but who find their intellectual freedom threatened because someone thinks
they are.  Teenagers who look like drug users, who look like gangsters, who
look like anything can and will be pulled off the street and into police
departments.  I've seen it done.  They're almost always released
immediately, because they've done nothing wrong.  You've misdiagnosed the
problem in suggesting that it's hormonal, and have suggested a solution that
can only make the problem worse.