Hi Andrea:

What I meant was that you should go to Africa to distribute condoms to
prevent AIDS and the subsequent deaths from that behaviorial
disease, not to prevent children from being born into misery. Since you
value human life above all else, it seems you should be doing that or
something llike that. Otherwise, your words seem hollow to me. Most
humantarians talk a good game, but rarely practice what they preach.
Pirsig railed against Rigel in Chapter 7 of LIla:

"The ones who go posing as moralists are the worst. Cost-free
morals. Full of great ways for others to improve without any expense to
themselves. There's an ego thing in there, too.They use the morals to
make someone else look inferior and that way look better themselves."

Maybe I've misinterpreted your meaning, or taken it out of context. But
when someone says "I value human life above all else, " or "Life is
sacred," I usually find that they don't back up their words with
corresponding action. That's what Pirsig meant by "cost-free morals."

Platt