Amir Herzberg wrote:
I'm rather surprised at this comment. After all, you (claim to) believe in open process, and surely criticism of your actions is a part of that. If somebody feels this is somewhat contrary to the stated goals and principles of Mozilla and the open community in general, what's wrong about voicing this in any forum?

Because of the potential downsides. If there are headlines everywhere "SSL no longer dependable", "browser makers running scared", some participants may perhaps pull out of the collaborative process and go off and do their own thing quickly to counter the negative publicity. And in that case we really _would_ be forced to play "follow the leader" if we wanted a standardised cross-browser UI.

What I'm asking for is discretion.

I am not angry, I'm sure you and Heikke simply did not consider the implication of your following a closed process and the need to dislose that decision. Frankly, a simple apology would have made me feel better about it, but I don't insist, after all sometimes `sorry seems to be the hardest word` :-)

I'm not going to apologise for doing what we did, or for respecting confidences we were asked to respect, because I believe we did the right thing. In fact, although I'm in some ways relieved that Ian has gone off in a huff because it's freed up half an hour of spare time in my day, I almost regret even mentioning it because of the discord it's caused.

Gerv