Robert Hegemann schrieb am Die, 16 Mai 2000:
> Mark Taylor schrieb am Die, 16 Mai 2000:
> > I am very biased, but...
> >
> > The web site says nothing about audio compression or encoding
> > technology.  Also SCMPX seems to be the work on one guy with
> > limited user feedback (not open source) who also writes games
> > and GUIs.  I just cant believe it is really an independent
> > codec.
> >
> > The pre-echo results seem to suggest it does ok, so it is not based on
> > ISO code.  It also has VBR, jstereo and "forced stereo" which
> > was really invented by LAME.  So I would bet good money it
> > is based on some version of LAME, but by now it probably has
> > all the variables renamed and the indentation changed :-)
> >

> > Mark
>
> Well, once I tried scmpx a few months ago, it was able play and
> fast encode mp3's. That was before I even heard of LAME, if I remember
> right it was in 1997/98. I would have to dig in some old discs,
> maybe I find some old copy of that, but chances are low
> that I still have it.
>
> But, maybe the actual one is in fact based on LAME.

Well I loaded the actual one, it is from august 1999,
even the may 1999 version has VBR support.
I would bet that his engine is based on tompeg from Xing.
Once there were the tompeg sources floating around,
I could kick my ass that I did not grab them as they were available.

This scmpx isn't that bad, it supports MPEG1 in all three layers.
There are more features, ie. you can play and encode at the same time.

Robert
--

   e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 homepage: http://linux.unixcity.de/catwalk/index.html