Hello Gabriel,

GB> The point is that even with an added tag, we can't ensure the delay to
GB> be reduced in any mp3 decoder, but when reducing the encoder delay, the
GB> final delay after decoding could be reduced in every mp3 player.

You can never ensure that a decoder will work, but if there is some
standard compliance, it could be done perfectly imho.

Of course a 0 ms silence at the start and the end of the stream will be
better because it can already be played with current players.  But
then you'd need a _100% (99) working solution_ that goes for first and
last frame, because the goal is to eliminate the gap between two
tracks, and if the last frame still is padded, and you manage to get
the pre-gap (in first frame) reduced to 0, you'll still have a gap
(smaller) + a less good frame 1 encoding.

I don't know, but considering there is no ready solution yet, I'm
guessing mp3 as a standard is just no cut out for work like this, and
a small enhancement will do the trick.

Anyways, if you manage to get that gaps to 0 in the traditional way,
the decoder would still have to be changed to ignore headers and tags.
>From what I understand, at the moment, these are also "played" as
silences.

I sincerely hope that there is a solution to this within the
restraints of the mp3 standard, but I doubt a 100% encoder side
solution can be found.

--
Best regards,
 vdbj                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]