On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:45:15 +0200, Niklas Matthies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 01:26:59AM +0200, Roel VdB wrote:
>[···]
>> I find it appalling and offensive to see a person here shamelessly
>> post a patch which can only be used to try and "HIDE" the origin of
>> the high quality mp3 files.
>[···]
>> You should look up the concept of open source software development.
>
>It's part of the concept of open source (or in particular of the GPL)
>that anyone is allowed to change the source to fit their wants or needs
>as long as the original creators are still being credited.
>
>If the LAME developers do want to prevent particular changes, they have
>to put the source code under a different licence that disallows those
>changes.

Exactly.  Guys, if you don't like the GPL, go start from scratch
again, and this time, pick another licensing.  But, LAME (and
everything based on LAME source)  will forever be free to be modified
and mangled.  This freedom is one of the reasons why many people have
freely given of their time to work on LAME.  Do you think LAME would
be as popular as it is, if it was closed software?

Regarding LAME being "illegal".  No, the "source" is not illegal, but
binaries are.  If don't you remember, that's the whole reason for
distributing only the source in the first place.

What do you care if some company uses your source and puts it in their
software application?  Who do you think they would pay royalties to
anyway?  YOU?  The only person that have a right to go hunting for
royalties is FhG.

Instead, put your egos away, and just be *happy* that LAME is being
"stolen" by these companies.  The alternative would be them paying for
some crappy encoder.  Personally, I hope they all "steal" LAME and use
it.  Sure, they are breaking the GPL, but only because they are not
distributing the source, NOT because the are removing some lame
branding in the files (pun intended.)

Yes, these are harsh words, but I see just as harsh words coming from
the other side of the argument.  Hopefully, we can keep the personal
attack to a minimum, and discuss this matter like rational adults.
It's only an MP3 encoder guys, so lighten up.  :)

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Info http://www.FastTimesAtRidgemontHigh.org
  Voted #87 - American Film Institute's Top 100 Funniest American Films