On Wed, Oct 03, 2001 at 01:26:59AM +0200, Roel VdB wrote:
[···]
> I find it appalling and offensive to see a person here shamelessly
> post a patch which can only be used to try and "HIDE" the origin of
> the high quality mp3 files.
[···]
> You should look up the concept of open source software development.

It's part of the concept of open source (or in particular of the GPL)
that anyone is allowed to change the source to fit their wants or needs
as long as the original creators are still being credited.

If the LAME developers do want to prevent particular changes, they have
to put the source code under a different licence that disallows those
changes.

But the concept of open source is most of all freedom, which includes
the freedom for anyone to make a derived work with any changes they seem
fit, and not only changes that the original creators happen to seem fit.

There'shing wrong a-priori with the creators restricting this
freedom, but to claim that this is in the spirit of open source is
kinda awkward.

-- Niklas Matthies
--
The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
                                                   -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum