On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, David Balazic wrote:
>Brent Geery wrote:
>>For some unknown reason, there seems to be hostile resistance to
>>adding a simple balance adjusting feature to LAME.  I'm not sure I
>>understand the hostility.  It wouldn't add an load to the programmers
>>load, as the functions are already there in the --scale function.
>>
>>Some are arguing against the feature, simply because they don't think
>>*they* wouldn't use it.  This is both childish, and insensitive.  What
>>do you care if someone else finds a use for the simple-to-add feature?
>
>Code bloat. LAME is a mp3 encoder, not a sound editor or effect generator.

I'm sorry, but I think LAME already went down that path with resampling and
lowpass. Balance control is in the same category, only less frequently used.
Sox can definately do resample and lowpass, but it's very convenient to have
it builtin in LAME. Compared to those, balance is trivial.

/Stefan
--
[ Stefan Ohlsson ] · http://www.cixit.se/ · [ 020-4702019 / +46-709-561314 ]