On 10 Okt, Brent Geery wrote:

> Who is "forcing" anyone to do anything?  I have posted a feature
> request; and so far, am only getting fanboy flack.  I have received
> private emails from *programmers* (not fanboys) expressing their
> interest in implementing the feature.  From their input, I'm told it
> will take under a dozen lines of code to implement.  However, they
> want to wait for the alpha to go beta.

They should get a recent alpha (there's really no need to wait for the
beta version in this case), implement the feature and send the patch
("diff -u old_ver new_ver" on an unix, or WinDiff (I think I've seen it
on the W2K CD) on Windows), I will commit it. We already have the
--scale feature and you feature request is just a little bit more
control what this feature does, so I didn't see why we shouldn't add it
too.

>>   This message goes also to the person requesting better
>>documentation; maybe its time to find the answers for himself,
>>make a patch to update the documentation and submit the
>>changes.
>
> Yeah, that's just what we want: the blind leading the blind.  Part of
> programming is documenting your code.  Ever try reading another's
> code, and figure out what it does!?  :)

You can't compare writting code documentation with writting user
documentation.

Code documentation is from coders for coders, if someone didn't
understands parts of it, he has to learn more (yes, code documentation
should be easy to understand, but you can't document everything, you
have to assume a basic understanding of a particular topic).

User documentaion has to be fool proof (unfortunally the universe
instantiates a greater fool as soon as your documentation seems to be
fool proof).

As a coder it is hard to write documentation for people which just want
to make a .mp3 from a .wav. There's a reason why the user documentation
in a commercial project is often written by someone which isn't involved
in the programming of a product.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
   If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
                ...Oh, wait a minute, he already does.