A get together is not a dinner party, so I am assuming the burnt animal reference
was made tounge (with a swatch of chopped liver) in (Walleye) cheek.

The Monte's back room is adjacent to the "smoking" section. I dine in the Monte's
smoking section always, even though I do not smoke, and it is never an issue for
me. The smoking section is the older (and much cooler) part of the restaurant, and
attracks most of the patrons, so usually only a little smoking is taking place at
any given time. Also, the ceilings are very high which helps disperse said smoke.

Smoke? Some.
The Viking kind of smoke? No.

richard carney
st. paul (with a lovely view of d-town MPLS)