T H E M I N N E A P O L I S O B S E R V E R
A Weekly Digest of All Things Minneapolitan
Vol. 1, No. 29
March 4, 2002

THIS WEEK IN THE OBSERVER:
* Niland on the Newbies
* Cop Conference Brings Fiscal Risks
* R.T. on Being the Mayor
* The Art of the Deal
* River Interpretive Center Set to Open
* Block E Hotel Shuffling
Plus: Drive carefully, your Legislature is in session, free press explosion, happy citizens send a message, and sucking face at the 400 Bar.

NILAND ON THE NEWBIES
Former 6th Ward Council Member Jim Niland, who served 10 years on the City Council, has some advice for the rookie crop that barged its way into City Hall last fall: Get a life.
"Make sure you don't get swallowed whole by the job," Niland told The Observer in a recent interview. "It's really easy for your job to become your life, but you have to stay a human being."
His successor, Dean Zimmermann, understands that, Niland said, but probably was not prepared for the intensity of the job--especially in the busy 6th Ward. Still, he's convinced Zimmermann is up to the job. "He's a good guy, and his heart's in the right place," Niland said. "His biggest challenge is knowing what he wants to do next month, next year, and not just reacting to the most recent crisis."
Of the other newcomers, Niland said he has been impressed with 11th Ward Council Member Scott Benson, and with Robert Lilligren, the 8th Ward council member who surprised most observers by winning the council vice-presidency. "Scott Benson will do a very good job as majority leader," he said. "And Robert Lilligren seems ready for prime time."
Niland, one of three council members who chose not to seek re-election last year (Kathy Thurber in the 9th Ward and Dore Mead in the 11th Ward were the others), also advised the newbies not to get too comfortable in their offices. The old days, when people like Dennis Shulstad, Alice Rainville, and Walt Dziedzic held their council seats for 20 years or more, are over, he said. "I think the political culture in the city has changed. You just can't hang on in a ward for 20 years," he said. "I think you will see more two-termers. It's so intense that at a certain point you get stale. Eventually, it's a good idea to do something else."

COP CONFERENCE BRINGS FISCAL RISKS
When the City Council nearly five years ago agreed to provide funding for the 2002 conference of the International Association of Chiefs of Police it could hardly have forseen the city's current budget crisis. But with the conference coming up fast, the police department last week went to the Council to encourage them to make good on their promise.

R.T. ON BEING THE MAYOR
Two months into his new job, Mayor R.T. Rybak remains upbeat despite daunting budget challenges and frequent reminders that governing is not the same as campaigning.

THE ART OF THE DEAL
A couple of weeks ago, we cited a report in Pulse that Kim Bartman, owner of the popular Bryant-Lake Bowl, was buying the Suburban World Theater. It turns out the deal was a little more complicated than reported.

MISSISSIPPI RIVER INTERPRETIVE CENTER SET TO OPEN
A new interpretive center highlighting the history, culture, and ecology of the Mississippi River will open its doors in the Camden neighborhood March 11.

HOTEL SHUFFLING ON BLOCK E
Plans for a 256-room Marriott Renaissance Hotel on Block E have been shelved, reports Monte Hanson in Finance and Commerce (www.finance-commerce.com).