Most of the time I am a lurker on this list.  Often though, I've wanted to point out
to all sides that the discussion
here only reflects the institutional racism that we live with in the US.

Our US definitions of race, besides confusing ethnicity and ancestral geography, are
fallacy.  Look to science, look
to biology.  There is really only one race:  human.

I understand how ludicrous our racist system is for I have given birth to two children
who are not considered my
race.  Nor are they considered their father's race.  Sometimes they are "Other," on
the street they are "mixed,"
sometimes they are "part" and in my son's case, his official "race" was changed a
couple of times by the federal
government before he was 20 years old!

Yet, "race" as we call it in the US, is a genetic characteristic.  A child must
certainly inherit race from a
birthmother . . . and a birthfather.  It's the only way we get "race."  Of course, my
children inherited their "race"
from their parents and logically, that would make their parents the same race as their
children.  Only in the US,
with its illogical racism, this is not so!

Go figure.

Ethnicity is another matter entirely.  I have French/Irish-American cousins while I am
mostly Irish.  My cousins and
I were never considered a separate race (but both the voyageurs and the Irish were
called a 'different' race in the
18th century).   My son is Irish/African/Panamanian - he can't help but to reflect a
bit of these cultures but
mostly, he is an American from the Midwest.  My daughter is Irish/African/Finnish.
And our extended family is so
blended there are too many ethnicities and religions and political affiliations to
list!  We are proud of all the
rich cultures in our family.

First and foremost, my children are themselves - unique individuals . . . as we all
are.

***I challenge everyone on this list to spend one week trying to purge our
institutional racism from your lives.***

You no longer get to identify yourself as black, white, native american, asian,
hispanic, mixed, whatever.  Not even
on forms.  And ponder who you are if you can't use this label to describe yourself.

Ethnicity is welcome!  Regionalism is welcome!  Localism is welcome!  And please get
the point - each individual is
unique.

I challenge you to purge our racist language from your speech patterns - you can't say
"a black guy" or "a white
guy," etc.  Find other words, real words to describe the person you are describing.

For one week, don't ask others to use the racist categories that we, in the US, take
all for granted.  I imagine this
will be impossible for the public officials and employees, elected officials, profit
and non-profit government
contractors, and journalists on the list. Your jobs seem to require reinforcing our
institutional racism.  And some
of you have the power to coerce others of us to go along with that.

And finally, during this week, consider the measures we might used, not based on
fallacious institutional racism, but
based in reality, with assurances of dignity and privacy, to measure injustice,
discrimination and disparity.

Comments are welcome - but I urge you to take my challenge for just one week before
doing so.

I sincerely believe that we will not be able to deal with our urban problems and our
societal problems until we get
past our institutional racism.  Take my challenge and let us know how you make out.

Best regards,
Shawne FitzGerald
Powderhorn

Eduardo Parra wrote:

> Anyone who has been subjected to
> racists comments, directly or indirectly are no less offended whether the
> comments are "sustained", episodic, occasional, etc.  When it hurts, it hurts
> and when offended, one doesn't check to see oneself to determine "well, that
> was offensive, perhaps I should wait until it happens again to see if I'm
> still offended".  Polite explanations explaining your inability to monitor
> postings on this listserv while understandable, in no way make life easier
> for those who are targets of racism.

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
2. If you don't like what's being discussed here, don't complain - change the subject
(Mpls-specific, of course.)