Have others heard of the Straw Man argument? That's when rather than debate the merits of an opponents argument, you build a "straw man" argument - and then proceed to tear that down. In this case the Straw Man - or Woman - is that evil Vivian Mason - evil park board member personified. Meanwhile, this avoids the issue that this wasn't an 8-1 decision - with Mason whining in the corner - it was a 5-4 decision - with John Erwin being the first person to criticise the board's process on this list.