I like an occasional smoke with a beer. However, I can't justify the
satiation of my desire to smoke as an excuse not to give a crap about what I
am doing to the people around me. Yes, it is my choice to smoke and pollute
my lungs. But I am also polluting the air around me and the lungs of those
around me. Whether they like it or not.
 The fact of the matter is that it is completely and utterly selfish to do
such a thing. And please, can we stop with the "I care about the business
owners..." excuse? I seem to recall a study indicating that business was
improving after the ban. So I guess we'll have to find another excuse for
justifying such ego-centric rants.
 Here is the link to the article on that study:
http://www.skywaynews.net/articles/2005/09/26/news/news05.txt

  Also along those lines is the pity for the workers that are out of jobs
because of the ban. Does anyone who is anti-ban think about what they are
doing to the health of those workers? Is their paycheck worth more that
their lungs? Not to mention the fact that working in a bar or restaurant
isn't exactly rocket science (please note: I am not trying to belittle the
profession, only make a point). I mean, I am sure it is not too hard to go
to the bar on the next corner or the next corner and get a job.
 And I don't understand when business owners were offered the compromise to
allow "smoking rooms" they shot it down. If this was really going to be an
end to their business, why wouldn't they want to jump on something like
this?
 Furthermore, I would like to know how people can say that non-smokers had
the choice to stay away from places that allowed smoking. Before the ban,
how many such places were there? Not many I am guessing. What kind of a
choice is that?
 I just can't believe we are still having this conversation! Second hand
smoke can kill! And the nature of second-hand smoke....being "second-hand"
indicates that the victim was an indirect casualty. Peanut allergies do not
harm everyone in the room. There are no "second-hand" hives. Alcoholism does
not harm everyone in the room. There is no "second-hand" cirrhosis.
 Do anti-smoking ban people really place such little value on their fellow
person's lungs/life/health that all they care about is there ability to
CHOOSE whether or not they can poison everyone in the room with them vs.
only themselves?
 Heidi Quezada
Standish