Carol Becker wrote:
<snip>  The property tax in
practice is strongly regressive; there little to no link between taxation
and wealth, the incentives in the system are not what you want to create a
healthy community, etc.  Not a good way to go.

Mark Anderson replies:
That is an interesting supposition.  It certainly is counter to everything
I've seen.  Do you have any evidence of the tiny link between (property)
taxation and wealth?  I've always thought real property values to be a
pretty good proxy for wealth (or better than anything else we have, at
least).  That's why I think property taxes make more sense than income
taxes, which are a disincentive to work.

Mark V Anderson
Bancroft