On Thursday 01 March 2018 13:11:09 fredvs wrote:

> > Your espeak-ng ./configure shows:
>
> Yes.
>
> But following:
> https://www.devmanuals.net/install/ubuntu/ubuntu-17-04-lts-Zesty-Zapus/inst
>alling-espeak-ng-on-ubuntu17.04.html
>
> sudo apt-get install espeak-ng (the "classical" way to install espeak-ng
> executable) gives:
> "espeak-ng package not found".

Your Ubuntu installation or your repository setup seems to be broken.
Suggestion: build and install it from source.

> Taste and color is something very personal.
>
> In my case, I prefer the architecture of espeak (that uses portaudio only,
> without any exotic pcaudiolib or libsonic libraries).

Espeak project is abandoned and dead, see for example the official website:
http://espeak.sourceforge.net/
last commit was in 2015.

pcaudiolib is a small library which provides cross platform audio support like
portaudio. sonic AFAIK is a FFT lib optimized for speech synthesizing
purpose. Both are parts of the espeak-ng project AFAIK.
sonic is optional, you don't need it if you don't want to benefit from it's
performance gain.

> Also for the quality of sound, my ears prefer the result of espeak vs
> espeak-ng.

That is strange, you should submit your findings as bug reports:
https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng/issues

> But, like I said earlier, it is a question of taste.
> (And I prefer the original vs the copy, Coca-cola vs Pepsi-cola, Intel vs

That is your choice...