On Thursday 01 March 2018 17:32:14 Fred van Stappen wrote:
> > Your Ubuntu installation or your repository setup seems to be broken.
>
> Maybe ;(
>
> Did you try with a up-to-date Debian OS ? :
>
> sudo apt-get install espeak-ng
>
> Does it install espeak-ng ?

I don't have Debian.

> > Suggestion: build and install it from source.
>
> Yes, I did it already.  And after (lot of) tips, espeak-ng was working.
> I did many test espeak vs espeak-ng (executable).
> Also test using only libraries.
>
> Now, after un-installing espeak and espeak-ng, I did try, like common user,
> to install the binaries (not compiling all) on a virgin system.
>
> And with my system (maybe broken):
>
> sudo apt-get install espeak  -----> Ok, espeak is installed.
> sudo apt-get install espeak-ng  -----> NOT Ok, espeak-ng package not found.

Maybe there is no espeak-ng Debian package or it is in an unofficial
repository or in a repository you did not add to your package configuration?

> > Espeak project is abandoned and dead, see for example the official
> > website: http://espeak.sourceforge.net/
>
> Huh,  on my maybe broken system,  I get:
> "http://espeak.sourceforge.net is not accessible"
>
> Strange indeed...

Exactly. AFAIK espeak-ng has been forked because the eSpeak owner could not be
contacted anymore.

> > pcaudiolib is a small library which provides cross platform audio support
> > like portaudio.
>
> https://github.com/rhdunn/pcaudiolib
>
> Hum, nice (but no comparaison with the huge number of cross-platform that
> Portaudio can do).

pcaudiolib supports the platforms which espeak-ng supports.

> >> Also for the quality of sound, my ears prefer the result of espeak vs
> >> espeak-ng.
> >
> > That is strange, you should submit your findings as bug reports:
>
> ;-)
>
> Yes my ears are very strange...

It is strange that it sounds different because espeak-ng actually is the same
codebase with a better API and some cleanup. Do you really compare the same
voices, variants and language files?