On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Richard Kilpatrick wrote:

> I'm everywhere ;) But I have to admit it's a recent development, I
> missed my old CX5M but now I've spent a /lot/ on two CX5MII/128 models,
> I've started to use it properly!

Do you have the SFG-05 FM Synthesizer II with either of those? If so,
could you confirm that the FM chip inside the cartridge is a YM2164 and
not a YM2151? See:

http://student.cusu.cam.ac.uk/~rga24/computer/music/index.html

> Sooo... there's not actually a space on the CX7 MB for the chip, then? I
> have the technical manual, but didn't see anything regarding the clock
> (as it's not installed in CX5M models), merely a reference to the
> battery cover which is on the base of the machine.

Battery cover? There's a space for a small ROM cartridge, but I've not
noticed a battery compartment. I'll have another look tonight. As regards
the CX7, I've never seen one. There are MSX2 machines using the S3527 and
a seperate RP5C01 RTC - for example the Philips NMS8245. I had a look at
the service manual for that computer and noticed a dedicated gate array,
with some lines for the RTC:

http://www.msxhans.msx2.com/pdfshw/nms8245sm.pdf

> So presumably the CX7 would have a later MSX-ENGINE and the battery pack
> in the base?

At a guess. Yamaha developed most of the MSX-specific chips, so I'd
imagine they'd use their own MSX-ENGINE for MSX2s in their MSX2. This is
all complete speculation, of course.

> So all I need to do is upgrade my VRAM board? I've got the directions
> from that from Hans' site, but my soldering is decidedly strange!

If I recall correctly, the V9938 can take 41416 DRAMs (unlike the TMS9918
in the CX5M, which had to use 8 4116 DRAMs). If so, then upgrading is
simply a matter of desoldering the old chips, putting in four 41464s in
piggy-back fashion and messing a bit with address multiplexors and the CAS
signals.

> Okay, that I was unsure about. I thought the CX7 had The Painter built
> in to the ROMs, or would start up with 'Yamaha' or something similar. I
> know it makes little difference!

Decide if you want an MSX2 CX5MII or more of the specifics of the CX7,
whatever they are.

> I use the RCA outs from the SFG, so that's not really an issue. Having
> said that MSX2 isn't of great importance anyway, just curiosity value to
> me - all I really want is to get one of my CX5MII/128s equipped with a
> disk drive! I could always get a cheap MSX2 off eBay - I think I saw a
> slightly damaged Philips NMS8250 go for £20-30 recently.

Lack of disk drive is my perennial problem too. There's a number of wacky
music ports I'd like to do, if I only had a decent development
environment!

> A separate keyboard is useful just because of the layout of my studio...
> however, Yamaha YIS-805s aren't exactly common :( (and I don't know if
> they have space for the SFG. If they did I'd pay good money for one).

I don't know the particular machine you cite.

Richard